When I was little, there were several different things I remember wanting to be "when I grow up." Of course, after taking ballet, I wanted to be a ballerina. I remember wanting to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, probably because my Dad is a huge Cowboys fan. I remember playing "school" with my friends and wanting to be a teacher. I remember singing solos in church and talent shows as a young girl, and wanting to be a singer just like Patsy Cline.
And let me tell you about my hair styling skills........I could style my cabbage patch doll's hair like nobody's business and I thought that maybe I should grow up and be a "beautician", as it was called back then.
Then, of course, I went through the phase where I wanted to be a veterinarian. But, I only wanted to work on dogs and cats. Ha! I must have mentioned that to the counselor in high school, because they stuck me in an FFA class one year. I thought, what in the world am I doing here?! It reminds me of that scene in "Napoleon Dynamite" where he is at the milk judging competition. They really did show us how to do that in FFA class!
I remember when it got closer to senior year in high school, people started talking about what colleges they were going to go to. I hadn't even thought about it. Not even once. They were having a meeting for Lee College (a 2 year community college in my town) one day at school, and I thought, "Well, I'll just go there then." Why I hadn't even thought about it, I'll never know, because I was an honors student. I would've been considered "college material".
It was probably around that time that I started to picture myself as some type of career business woman. I thought I might work in a tall building in downtown Houston, wear business suits, glasses, and my hair up in some kind of sophisticated style. Then, when I started taking classes at Lee College, I decided I wanted to be a pharmacist. I don't even know where that idea came from!
Fast forward to chemistry class. Ugh! I could still make A's in chemistry, but hated it! It was time to transfer to The University of Houston (because I got a scholarship and it was close enough to home to commute) that I got the idea to be a social worker. At that time, they didn't offer an undergrad degree in social work, so my plan was just to get my degree in Sociology and then apply to The Graduate School of Social Work.
I did really well and graduated summa cum laude. That prompted my professor to tell me that if I would apply for this particular scholarship for the sociology master's program, he knew I would get it. So I did. It was about a month after I started graduate school that I thought to myself, "what in the world am I doing here and what is an M.A. in Sociology going to get me?" So, I dropped out.
At the time that I dropped out, I was already working full-time as a caseworker for the State of Texas, Department of Human Services, interviewing people in need of food stamps. That had to be the most stressful job, for the lowest pay possible, but I knew that going into it and it didn't matter to me, because I wanted to make a difference. No one else in my family seemed to look at it that way though. They didn't understand why I would work for $20K/yr with a college degree. So, I got a better paying job at a computer company, got married, started having kids, quit to stay home with them, and here I am.
One of the things I can see throughout my career journey is that I have never had purpose in anything I've done. I think if I had the relationship with the Lord back then that I have now, things would have been COMPLETELY different! It seems clear to me now that I was always just going through the motions, following whatever someone else was doing or what they thought I should do, and never once stopping to ask God what He made me to do. That is a realization that I am just starting to grasp........God created me for a very specific reason. But, I am not sure what that reason is because I have never really followed or figured out what my passions, talents, and gifts are that He gave me.
I think alot of times, society is geared this way. We are taught that making the best grades, being in the honor society, and getting awards and scholarships, or lots of money, is the most important thing. But, what happens along the way is that we don't stop to figure out what we are truly passionate about. In our quest for outperforming everyone else, we lose sight of who God made us to be, even when no reward is to be gained.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and I don't care what I want to be. I want to know and understand what God wants me to be, what He created me for, and why He put me here at this specific time and place!
I do know one thing. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to have kids and have a family. Just about everything I thought I wanted to be growing up, I've been in some form or fashion as a Mom! Dancer, cheerleader, teacher, singer, CEO, hair stylist, pharmacist, nurse, counselor.....you name the job description, and us Moms have probably done it at one time or another! For a long time, I was perfectly content to stay home forever, mostly because I forgot who I was (a child of the most high God!) and became too fearful to do anything else. But, I've been praying alot lately for the Holy Spirit to lead me where He wants me to be, and I can feel things changing. I can feel that there is something around the corner, something else I am supposed to do, and I am SO excited to see what it is!!!
Possibly, it might involve earning another degree? I have no idea, but I'm just going to keep praying and see where He leads me this time!
12 comments:
Beautifully written and perfectly stated, Kristin. I'm totally with you - I don't care what I want...I care what HE wants for my life, no matter what. Thanks for boldly sharing such a simple truth.
That story was awesome! How interesting interviewing ppl for food stamps. I am sure you heard some stories! I am so glad that you are super open to God working and moving in your life! He is going to do some amazing things, that only can be his work, not yours!
Kristin you look so beautiful in that picture! So young and so sweet! I think your post was very honest. Thanks for sharing all of that.
Momma Linda will be praying for you about all of this.
When we are Christian women we are under the protection of our husbands...and they as well as us, are under the protection of God and we are accountable to Him.
So any plans for your future also needs to be discussed and prayed about with your husband and then his guidance should be a part of any decisions... as well as God's advice and guidance from His word.
When you are married you are a team! (:>) And I thank God that Morgan is a Christian, and both of you can pray about it together.
Love you,
Momma Linda
What an awesome post! I still struggle with what I want to be when I grow up but I know the Lord has plan and a purpose. Right now, my job is to be a Mommy to these little girls and the best wife I can be. Instead of letting the devil beat me up about all the things I could have been or should be now, I'm choosing to focus on the fact that the Lord really has blessed me with the life he's given me and what I'm experiencing right now.
I'm excited for you and your future and can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you!
Kristin,
I loved reading about your journey. One thing I know for sure...if you continue to pray that God would reveal His will to you, it will be revealed. However, pay attention because it may not be in ways you would expect.
Blessings,
Amy
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We serve a GIANT GOD, A GOD who does have amazing and wonderful things planned for us. Keep on seeking His will, He will direct your path. Blessings, CC
Kristin -
While reading your post I was able to relate in so many levels. I pretty much wanted to be all that you mentioned. Ha! I struggled my last year in high school because my GPA was not high enough to get into a UC school. But I worked hard that year and got in to the one I wanted. After I received my degree I thought to myself...one year off and then go back...uh...fast forward almost (gulp) 10 years and I still haven't gone back! Though I did begin an MA in Education when my daughter was a few weeks old but it didn't work out so I dropped out. I have found the program that I want to do but I am also waiting...to see where the Lord leads me. And for my boy to be a bit older!
So happy that you are thinking about possibly going back for another degree! So awesome Kristin!
That is so true-as mommies we do it all!! :) Hoping for great things for you! I'm excited to see what is around the corner for you too!
I am excited for what God has in store for you too Kristin! Your excitement is contagious!
I am crying my heart out! I am so proud of your accomplishments! Think of your experiences as part of growing up! I can tell you that "I was a late bloomer" I act way younger than I am, even as old as I am! So don't rush it, the good Lord will direct you when He is ready! He has a special plan, it just took me longer because I refused to grow up! GREAT story!
I loved reading about all your aspiring careers!! I don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up either, Kristin, but like you, I just want it to be what HE wants for me!
And right now, He's been teaching me to be content with where I am and to embrace my calling as a wife and a mommy. That's not to say there's not more for me to do--just that I keep thinking there's something more IMPORTANT for me to do and God is making it clear that this is one of the most important things I will ever do for Him. (I've been wanting to blog about it, but goodness I've practically written an entire post here!)
God's got great things in store for you! I'm excited about where He will lead you!
Awesome because you hit the nail on the head. Society tells you to go to school to get good grades to get a degree to get a high paying job. Something I've learned to start telling myself and Bella instead of 'you can do anything you want to do' (which in and of itself is true), but I say 'you can be everything God has called you to be and you can do everything God has called you to do.' I want her to seek His Guidance (as well as me doing the same) because in His Will is where we will find fulfillment and satisfaction and we are completing the course He has set before us.
Post a Comment