Forgiveness

Last night, I was reading a book by Jeremy Pearsons called "Hello My Name is God."
It was one of those moments when you read something and you realize that through those words, God is trying to teach you a lesson.

Here are those words:

You are going to see that His mercy has been extended to you time and time again, and if you truly want to be a carrier of His divine nature then mercy must be your response, too.

God changed the rules, and mercy found us in the crowd. He changed the rules for us! The extent of that must really sink in - the fact that it's not a one-time deal and that mercy has endured in your life. It has endured your failures again and again.

Why did I need to hear this? Because, at Madison's Birthday party, Morgan left to go to work and I was so angry with him. In fact, if you read my Birthday post when I first wrote it, you would've read all about that. However, I took that part out after I learned this lesson. When I was so angry with him, I was thinking to myself these things:

He's never going to change. I keep forgiving him every time and he still continues to mess up and hurt my feelings. If he really cared about me, he wouldn't do these things.

Then I read those words in that book, and I had a revelation. I realized that I do the same thing to God, don't I? I never change. I keep messing up. I love Him more than anything, but I continue to sin over and over again. I continue to place other things higher on the priority list above Him, but He continues to forgive me. He has endured my failures again and again and He still forgives me. He doesn't just say, "Well, she's never going to change and I'm really tired of forgiving her when I know she's just going to mess up again, so I'm just going to forget about her." (Thank goodness He doesn't say that!)

I realized at that point, that He was showing me and teaching me about unconditional love. How many times have I hurt Him and messed up royally, but He still forgives me because He loves me. If He can endure my failures again and again, then I realized what He was trying to teach me is that mercy must be my response too.

He was saying to me, "Kristin, how many times have you messed up and I always forgive you, even though I know it will only be a matter of time before you mess up again. It really is no different than you and Morgan. You're doing no better. And you can extend that same forgiveness to Morgan that I've extended to you."

You see, it wasn't necessarily what Morgan did that made me so mad, it was that he did it again. I kept being angry because all I could think of is that if I forgive him, he's just going to do it again. But the Lord showed me that whether he does it again is irrelevant. He commands me to forgive in the same way that He has forgiven me for the millionth time for the same exact thing. That's what unconditional love is all about.

And for the record, I know there are plenty of things I do to Morgan that he has a hard time forgiving too. I'm certainly not trying to pretend that I'm perfect.

-------------------------

It's funny too, that today in church, our Pastor just happened to say that it's so easy for us to receive forgiveness, but forgiving is so much harder. That is so true. We were talking about how we should pray like Jesus prayed today. We must realize how holy God is and seek His priorities over our own. He already knows what we need before we even ask Him.

The closer we get to God, the more we realize our sins. When we pray, we should seek God's pardon for our sins. But, once we are saved, forgiveness is ours.

In Luke 11:1, the disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray. This is the only time you see them asking Him to teach them something. He responded by telling them how they should pray, by seeking these 5 things:

1. Seek God's presense with a worshipful heart.
2. Seek God's priorities over your own.
3. Seek God's provision for your daily needs.
4. Seek God's pardon for your sins.
5. Seek God's power to overcome temptation.

So, I thought it was so neat how God used that book to teach me a lesson about something that I was having trouble learning at that very moment. I get so excited when that happens!

10 comments:

Mich said...

Great post friend!

Forgiveness is always a tough one. I am so thankful my Lord is great at it.

Kate said...

I love it when God teaches us a good lesson! Hard to learn sometimes, but it is always worth it in the end! We talked along the same lines of that today at church!

Becca said...

I really like this post Kristin. Everything you just wrote is sooo very true and something that I need to keep in mind also.

He & Me + 3 said...

You were writing this post for me. Thanks for sharing your learning experience...I have learned something from it too.

Jenilee said...

I love that God teaches us in such loving ways when we are willing to learn and listen! Thanks for sharing. :)

christy rose said...

Oh Kristin! This post is awesome and amazing and so so so so good! What a revelation that God showed you. We are so powerless to forgive or unconditionally love anyone until we fully understand God's unconditional love and forgiveness toward us. Then as we receive it, it flows forth from us to someone else. It takes the effort out of it and makes our actions a fruit of His work within us. Isn't God so good! He even makes living in His will easy if we receive the ability to do so from Him instead of trying to do it on our own. What a wonderful, gracious God we have!
Hope you have a great week,
Christy

Katie said...

You are learning so much, it is so neat to see God changing your heart. Life is so hard at times and I have felt like you.. I have a wondeful husband too but at times I get angry. I suppose we should be happy that they provide for our families. To bad it was when you needed him though, that is the part we get mad at. The more I am a christian the more I see how screwed up I really am. Without God I don't know how I could make it. This world is so beautiful but yet so full of anger and hate. Can you imagine if more people did forgive and dropped it. So many people get so angry for the dumbest things. Just watch people drive, It just makes me sad how mad they get over nothing big anyway. I wish you lived up here we could go to Easton. (Lol)

Veronica said...

How amazing that the message at church and the book you're reading right now both spoke directly to you about your situation. I know it is hard to forgive. I struggle with it too.

I pray that things will get better. We just need to give our situations to the Lord and ask him to change hearts and open eyes. He's the only one who can do that.

Love you lots and Ill be thinking about you today!c

Brandi said...

Kristin,
I have missed you so much over the past 2 months! I love reading your posts and am glad that I finally have time to blog again! Wow! How you have blossomed in your walk with God! You are so inspiring and I love this post! I will have to go back and read all those posts I missed! :) Have a wonderful day!

Kari said...

Kristin, you are always so open to His correction - it's a beautiful thing. Not only to me, but to Him. I'm so glad you like the book. I'm sure you know that Jeremy is Sarah's husband.
Great post today. :o) And of course I was excited about the sewing machine. I've been wondering when good age would be for me to get one for Bella...