Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I've been so fortunate in my life. I talk alot on here about my Mom, because she is no longer with me and I miss her so much. However, my Dad means just as much to me and I am so thankful that God gave me such a wonderful Dad. If I had tried to ask for what I would love in a Dad, I couldn't have asked for better than what my Dad has been to me.


Here is a picture of us on my adoption day. I talk alot about being adopted, because I want everyone to know what a blessing adoption has been to my life, but growing up, I never felt adopted. I simply felt LOVED. I don't ever refer to and have never thought of my parents as my "adopted" parents. They are and always will be my REAL parents. I love them both with all of my heart and all of my soul and I know that God always intended for us to be a family, and what a blessing our family has always been to me!


My Dad has always been such a hard worker. I don't think he ever missed a day of work in his life, except for maybe when he just absolutely had no choice, and I doubt that ever was more than once or twice. He was a pipe fitter by trade, which meant he usually worked out in the hot sun, but never once did I ever hear him complain.


My Mom loved my Dad so much, because he was always so loving to her. My Mom always talked about how he never ever made any mention of her weight problems throughout the years. Also, with all of my Mom's health problems and many surgeries, he never once complained. He always picked up where she couldn't and I never knew any difference. He always helped out with all of the household chores and he never had to be asked to do that. He always kept our home and our yard in top shape and took great pride in that.


A few little things I remember about my Dad:


One time, my Mom cut her finger really bad on one of those fancy vegetable slicers and my Dad had to fix my hair for me. I was probably only about 6 or 7. I just remember how gentle he would comb my hair because he didn't want to hurt me. That's just like my Dad.....he was always so gentle in nature, but also a pillar of strength.


There were several special things he bought me by saving up his money. A couple of things I remember were a trampoline and also a beautiful bedding set for my daybed. He did those things just because he wanted to, and money wasn't always easy to come by back then.


Once my Mom had been wanting a beautiful four-post bed that she had seen. My Dad bought it for her when she was out of town, taking care of her Mom who passed away not long after. He had it all set up when she got back. She always loved that bed and now Madison has it as her bed. It will be something that is passed down through the generations.


Oh, there was also the time that Santa brought me my first bike and I made my Dad teach me to ride it that day, in the snow, and I wouldn't give up until I learned. He never told me No or explained to me why that was a bad idea. He always has been my number one supporter!


And finally, I will never forget the day my Dad walked me down the aisle, looking so handsome in his tux. I think that might have been the only time he'd ever worn one! They were doing a video and were supposed to record well-wishes for us on tape. Well, my Dad broke down and he told Morgan that he had to promise to take care of me. One of the few times I've ever seen my Dad cry and I know it was because he loves me so much. So Dad, I want you to know that I love you just as much. We don't get to see each other very often anymore, because he has remarried and lives about 4 hours away. But, that too is something that Mom would've wanted for him. She always told me that he was a man with so much love to give and that if anything ever happened to her, I had to promise her that I would support him if he chose to remarry. I am so glad that he has found someone to share the rest of his life with. Diane is a wonderful woman and it would break my heart if he was lonely or sad. I think these years have been some of the happiest of his life.

He is retired and loves to spend time working around in the yard or on their house. I wish that he could see my girls more often, but it's just been hard with them still being so little. I hope that now that they're getting older, we will be able to make more trips to see him.

I am so much like my Dad. We are both very soft spoken. We are both hard workers. We are both organized and perfectionists. We both like things done a certain way, preferably the right way. LOL! These are the traits I learned from my Dad and I will always be so proud to be his daughter!!

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!!!

My Dad and my Stepmom.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Awe Kristin! Such a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes. Your Daddy sure sounds like one really great man. Thanks for sharing this!

Hope you have a fabulous day as well!

- said...

Somehow came across your blog as Ive been blog hopping :) Thought Id say Hi :)
:)
candy
Lovely post...

Kate said...

I loved reading about your Dad! You can tell how much you LOVE him and adore him! It is awesome that you were blessed with wonderful parents!

Veronica said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. I also get my perfectionist and organizational traits from my Dad too, how funny!

That is just awesome that Madison gets to have the special bed that your Dad got for your Mom. That will be something that will be treasured for a long time.