The Sound of her Voice

If you would like to join me in Monthly Monday Poetry, please click on the picture above to find out how!


The Sound of her Voice

She picked me up
so lovingly
and held me close
while she sang to me.

I didn't know her,
but I hoped she'd stay.
This was the very first time
I had felt this way.

But like all days do,
this one came to an end.
I wondered if I would ever
see her again.

The days kept coming
and I missed her so.
I just wish I knew
why she had to go.

Then one day it happened.
To her arms I was passed.
How did I get here?
It all happened so fast.

"Here's your new Mommy,"
my Mother did say.
"I cannot raise you while
I live my life this way."

At that very moment
I knew it was meant to be.
God's plan unfolding perfectly
to give this life to me.

So now it's years later
and I have children of my own.
But never did I take for granted
the love that I was shown.

The gift I was given
was the greatest there could be.
For there is no greater gift on Earth
than to have a family.

My angel is no longer here
for her time had come, you see.
I was not ready for her to go.
Why did she have to leave me?

It was hard at first
to understand,
but I knew deep down
this was part of His plan.

The gift He gave
was not mine to keep.
But it's hard to let go
of a love so deep.

Each day I pray
and I thank Him for
giving me my angel
and so much more.

She taught me to love Him
and to believe
and to trust in Him all things,
even when we grieve.

The lesson I'm learning
as He teaches me, is that
sometimes things don't turn out
the way we'd like them to be.

But I praise Him each day
for the gift that He gave.
Forever cherishing my Mom
in the memories I save.

Until we meet again
in Heaven above,
I'll remember the warmth
of her undying love.
Then tears of joy will fall
at the sound of her voice
as I step through the gate
and I hear her rejoice!

- Kristin
2/2/09

10 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

What a beautiful poem. Your mother was very blessed to have YOU, such a loving and devoted daughter. You can only pass that on to your own daughters.

Jared Kraft said...

Beautifully intimate work here. I really, really enjoyed that! Your love for family is apparent (I share it as well!)
Thanks for sharing,
Jared

Betsy Markman said...

What a precious story you've told in your poem! Thanks for sharing it.

Kyle Kraft said...

Well done. Encouraged me to stay the course with my children, and thereby reap blessing!

Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

What sweet memories...such a blessing!

Abigail Kraft said...

Very intimate--it was as if I was reading your heart. Your mother was very blessed to have a daughter with such a beautiful affection and admiration for her. I also feel the deepest love, affection, and admiration for my momma. God is so good to provide such amazing, faithful, and beautiful people for us to respect and look up to. :)

Thanks for sharing. This was absolutely beautiful, and I hope you continue to participate in months to come!

In His arms,
--Abigail

nobody416 said...

That was beautiful Kristin! It reminds me very much of my own mother who was adopted because her birth mom was only sixteen. I will most definitely be showing this to her soon. God bless you and thanks for the comment on my blog.

Linda said...

Dear Kristin, I read your lovely poem about your mom,... and then I read your adoption story. I was so moved by both of these writings.

I am glad that God gave you to your adoptive parents and that you had such a wonderful life with them.

Your loving mother gave you much love and guidance that you can in turn pass on to your three daughters. What a blessing!

God is so good! Especially during our trials we can feel His closeness and His strength at work in our lives.

We have an adopted granddaughter and she is a great blessing in our oldest daughter's life. She and her husband adopted her 16 years ago. It was a very exciting and happy time for all of us.

Lynnette Kraft is my middle daughter and God has worked in her life in tremendous ways through the loss of three of her nine children. Have you read her book? It is called "In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me". You have her blog on your site, so I am sure you know her story.

God has worked greatly in my life through these times. I give Him all the praise.

You are a precious person. Thanks for sharing your heart with us in your poem. My Granddaughter Abigail had a great idea when she started this Poetry blog. I didn't know I would be so blessed by it.

The Lord has felt very close as I wrote the words He brought to my mind.

God bless you and your family. I know you are still missing your mom,...but she is forever in your heart and in your memories until you meet her again.
In Christ's Love,
Linda Hogeland

Brandi said...

Beautiful!! I love it!

Oksana said...

What a lovely way of telling your story. I applaud your faith -- I'm sure some of the transitions that you had to go through were frightening, but you kept your eyes on God through it all, and this poem is a beautiful reminder for all of us to do the same. :)