What Choice Have You Made?

"The best of life on Earth is a glimpse of Heaven; the worst of life is a glimpse of Hell. For Christians, this present life is the closest they will come to Hell. For unbelievers, it is the closest they will come to Heaven."
-quote from the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn

Tonight, I was sitting here reading a preview online of the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn, when I ran across the quote above from the book. I have never thought of life on Earth in this way before. It is really something to think about, especially for the unbelievers.

For a believer, like myself, it is a message of complete hope. It is something to look forward to, to know that the worst thing I will ever have to suffer will be the trivial things I suffer while here on Earth. To know that Jesus died for me, to save me from ever having to feel anything worse, is a gift so great that I should spend every moment of every day on my knees, praising Him.

For an unbeliever, this message is one of utter despair. To think that even my darkest day of suffering here on Earth would be nothing compared to the suffering that would await me in Hell, is hard to imagine. To imagine suffering like that eternally, with no end, no companionship, no air, no water, no life; nothing but burning, screams, stench, filth, isolation, and never receiving the relief of death. It is terrifying.

I believe there are only two places we can go after we die: Heaven or Hell. God gave us free will to choose where we want to go. He hopes that we will all choose to be with Him in Heaven, and Satan does everything in his power to convince us that there will always be a tomorrow to make that choice. But, what if there is no tomorrow? What choice have you made?

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I love this post! I just bought the book Heaven - but passed it on to my sister to read first. I can't wait to read it.

Fortunately I chose Jesus and Heaven. And THANK GOD - my nephew made that same choice this weekend!