If you would like to join me in a walk down memory lane, please click on the picture above.
I thought I would choose to talk about something that I could use a prayer for, because who better to pray for me than my Memory Lane friends!
Before we moved to Baytown, Texas (where I still live), we used to live in Joshua, Texas. We attended a wonderful little Baptist church called Calvary Chapel. I used to sing solos in church, my Mom volunteered her time in the office, and it was like a second family to us. I remember one year, I went to Latham Springs church camp. I think I was about 10 or 11. It was so much fun! I was saved at church camp that year. I remember calling my Mom on the phone to tell her. I was so excited, that I had that giddy feeling that you get when you know you've just experienced something that will change your life forever.
The best gift my Mom ever gave me was to teach me about Jesus and faith. However, when we had to move to Baytown when I was 13, we had a hard time finding a new church. We did attend one for awhile, but my Mom had many health problems when I was growing up and we all eventually quit going. I was in High School, then on to College, and both my Mom and I wanted to go to church, but we just never did. Then I got married and had kids. My faith never left me and I continued to pray and have a strong relationship with the Lord, but I allowed myself permission to not attend church because I was just too busy. I know, it's horrible!
Then my Mom passed away and I flat out got mad at the Lord. I told Him so too. I asked Him how could He let that happen? After about a week of trying to make it without Him, I knew it was impossible. I had never needed Him more in my life than I did at that point.
Before my Mom died, she asked me if I was concerned that my husband wasn't saved. I really wasn't at the time. I was too young to think about death and I had never experienced someone that close to me dying. Also, I guess everyone that had died that I cared about was saved. I just never really thought about it. My husband was a wonderful man (still is), and I just didn't worry about it back then.
Well, like a lot of people who struggle through grief, I turned to the Lord for help. I don't tell a lot of people this, but shortly after my Mom passed away, I started having extreme anxiety. Not panic attacks, but episodes where I would get physically ill if I had to do anything that was out of my comfort zone. I've always been shy, but this was different. Just to get in a car and travel into Houston (about 40 minutes away) became out of the question, because I would start getting panicky and feel sick. Remember last week's post about my road trip I took with my Mom and how I got sick during it? Well, all of a sudden that started happening any time I had to go somewhere. I still have a hard time with doing anything that may cause anxiety.
I don't even remember how I got the idea to start blogging. But, it opened up a whole new world to me! I have been struggling these past few years with wanting to go to church and feeling an overwhelming need to be closer to the Lord. Because my husband is not a Christian and was not brought up that way, he just doesn't have the same desire. I worry about that every single day of my life, and I feel responsible for him. When I started blogging and I was introduced to all of these strong, Christian women, I was just amazed! I want to be just like them. I want to know my Lord better. I want to know the scriptures. Most of all, I want my girls to know Him. I want to teach them to have a relationship with Him, just like my Mom did for me. I want to give them that gift. If I do not do that, then I will consider myself a complete failure.
I now realize that the events of the past few years have had their purpose. I have this overwhelming, all-consuming need to be in church, to study the bible, and to become a strong Christian woman. I want the Lord to use me in whatever ways He needs me. I want to be His faithful servant. But, this anxiety that I have keeps holding me back. I've promised myself so many times that I'm going to get up on Sunday and go to church, and I have a few times, but it's just really, really hard for me. Satan seems to be winning this battle. He's telling me that if I go, I won't fit in, I'll feel stupid for not knowing the bible, I'll get sick and have to leave in the middle of the service, etc, etc.
I have prayed and prayed about this, but I have allowed the fear to win. So, forgive me if in the midst of my walk down memory lane, I ask all of you to please pray for me. For me to announce to the world about my anxiety is almost horrifying to me, but I'm doing it because I truly believe in the power of prayer. I knew immediately when I found Lynnette's blog, that she was placed in my life as an answer to my prayers, not only to help me with my grief, but to also help me in my journey to know Him better. Thank you so much, my friends, for allowing me to get this out in the open and to ask you for your help. I truly believe that it will change my life, and more importantly, my husband and my children's lives.
7 comments:
Kristin,
My heart is touched by your blog today.
I'm so glad that you desire to know our Lord better and to teach you little girls about him and his ways.
Yes, you're right, church would benefit you and give you a place to have fellowship and learn more about the Lord, and you're right when you say it will be difficult. It's hard to go some place new and fit in, but God will bless your efforts and show you the right place to be.
When my husband and I first got saved, my mom went to church with us. My dad wasn't saved (yet), and she didn't want to go alone. It was fun having her with us and helped her to feel less awkward. Perhaps God will show you a friend who can make it less awkward for you.
Well, aside from everything, your desires are straight from the Lord and I'm excited to hear about what God does in your life, your girls' lives - and your husband's life. I love I Peter 3:1-2 "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives."
Isn't that a hopeful verse? :)
Thanks for sharing your heart. I'm so pleased to have met you Kristin and look forward to knowing you better.
Love,
Your sister~
Lynnette
Kristen
Your post really touched me and I will be praying for you and your family in the weeks ahead. I also find it really hard to brave new places/people but know that in the times I have stepped out in faith God has held me and showered blessings down upon me.
"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God
I will stregthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my
righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10
Thank you for sharing your heart,
lynette x
Just by stepping out on the limb and writing this post, you have taken your first steps of faith toward a closer relation with God for yourself and your family. Just like the others said and the scripture that Lynnette Kraft referenced, we sometimes have to lead by example and then when our family members see the freedom, hope, and joy in our lives, they will want it too. I will absolutely pray for you. I know God is tugging on your heart to seek Him and I know through prayers and support of friends you will find your place. It has been such a blessing to have met you and you have helped me on my journey towards Christ as well.
Thank you so much, friends, for your prayers and your hopeful words. I really cannot put into words how much it means to me. I was hesitant to write this post, because I hate feeling weak and vulnerable, but I woke up this morning feeling like I really can do this! Thank you so much. I feel very blessed to have "met" all of you!
I'll be praying for you for sure. We're in similar places in our life. I'm so glad that we can support & pray for each other.
My precious friend,
What a powerful story! LOVED it!
Thanks so much for being transparent with us today! I will definitely be praying for you dear friend! God will make a way in all that your heart desire.
Thanks again for sharing. I also thank God that our paths some how crossed and that we are friends!
Blessings and a BIG hug thrown your way today!
Dear Kristen, I somehow missed this blog post,...but I just read it, and I was so greatly moved by your heart for the Lord,...and by your desire to be a godly mother and wife.
There is no doubt in my mind that you were meant to meet Lynnette and Abigail and me,...and to become a part of our lives through these blogposts. You should hear the three of us talk about you with fondness. We all love and care about you. You are so sweet and so real.
I am going to start praying for you with my husband in our daily devotions. We will pray that you will find a good church that you will feel comfortable in. We will pray that the panic feelings will cease,...and that God's peace will surround you. That our God will wrap His loving arms around you,
We will pray that you will follow your mom's and grandma's example and guide your girls in the ways of the Lord, and lead by example.
We will pray for your husband's salvation. I prayed for my husband John's salvation for 15 years and then it finally happened in God's perfect timing. He has been a Christian for 14 years now,...and they have absolutely been the best years of our marriage.
Just pray that God will save your honey in whatever way,... and in whatever time that will bring God the most glory. And then trust that it will happen,...and rest in Him.
Don't preach at your husband, because I did that and it didn't work. Just be the best wife you can be and love him with all of your heart. He will see the change in you as you grow in the Lord. He will want what you have.
Let God love him through you.
I hope that you will look back and see this sometime soon. And that you will read in my note,...just how much I want God's richest blessings in your life.
Love and prayers,
Linda
Post a Comment