Today at church, we were talking about spiritual gifts. Our Pastor gave us a website to go to so we could figure out what our gifts are and then he said he'll compile them so that we can see what gifts God brought together in our church. I think that will be amazing to look at!
I was taking the test earlier and then I realized when the results came up that it was the same test I had taken before and blogged about here. Turns out, when I read my old blog post, that I got the same answers this time. It said my top gifts are mercy, giving, and exhortation. And then prophesy and teaching came in right below them. I scored the lowest in administration and serving. You can take the test here to see what your spiritual gifts are.
I think these are so interesting. It said mercy people make good counselors and are good listeners. I think that's interesting since my original goal when I got my degree in sociology was to be a social worker. I have always wanted to help people, always. Even as a little girl, I remember dreaming of one day running a food pantry. That sounds pretty bad that I want to help people, but am not gifted in serving?! I'm not really gifted in hospitality, and I'm so quiet that I don't feel like I'm a people person much, but maybe those are just lies I've believed because I struggle with anxiety and fear when it comes to social interactions. Ooooh......perhaps that is the reason for my anxiety and fear, because the enemy knows it will keep me from using my God-given gifts? Fascinating!
Our pastor was saying how it's amazing to see how God will take your spiritual gifts, your past, and your natural talents and weave them all together for His glory. So, back to what I learned at church:
Spiritual gifts are supernatural abilities given to all Christians to do God's work on earth. These are given to ALL Christians. (1 Cor 12:1, 4-6, 7) Statistics say that 87% of believers know nothing about their given spiritual gifts. That's like being given a gift card that you stick in a drawer and it never gets used......it's of no value to anyone. All of Hell desires your gift to stay hidden and unused.
Spiritual gifts are NOT natural talents, given only to an elite few, a sign of spiritual maturity, fruits of the spirit, or something to fear. They are given at the time of salvation to every believer. What are some of the spiritual gifts? (see Romans 12:6-8) They can be prophesy, serving people, teaching in a way others can understand, encouraging others (words can be so powerful), giving, leadership, kindness, discernment, healing, faith, miracles, speaking in tongues, interpreting tongues. The spirit decides which gifts He wants you to have for your unique purpose in this world.
How do you discover your gifts? You should study what the bible says about gifts (Eph 4, 1 Peter 4). Ask God to show you your gifts and how to use them. God wants to do that! We miss opportunities if we aren't looking. Examine what you enjoy and do well. Take your natural talents, your past, and accompany that with your spiritual gifts. You face burn out when you try to force doing stuff you aren't meant to do. Take a spiritual gift test. Let the spirit lead you.
When you are faithful in using your given gifts, you bring God glory and that's what you were created to do. You fulfill your purpose in living. Leaving your gifts hidden brings God nothing. What does it do to a gift giver if you reject their gift, the gift they poured over to give you? It breaks God's heart. Use your spiritual gifts to bring Him glory!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think it is Awesome how God has equipped each of us with special gifts in order to serve Him better.
Love it! Our service today was also on spiritual gifts.
Hope you all are doing well! Blessings to your beautiful family.
:)Amy
I haven't clicked over to your test yet Kristin, but at our church many years ago we did the test and I was high in Mercy and Giving...John was high in Administration and Giving. I think it is a good combo because we work well together in giving to others. He does it from a logical administrative viewpoint...and I give from a merciful viewpoint...and we affect each other and meet in the middle.
I am not high in serving either. But I have some friends who are definitely high in serving.
John is more hospitable than I am...because he is outgoing and I am shy. But there again...I tone him down and he encourages me to reach out more.
Yes, gifts are meant to be accepted and used.
I loved this post sweet girl!
Momma Linda
I love how you had an awakening right in the middle of your post! So cool!
I should take that quiz to figure out my gift(s). You are right, what good are my gifts if I'm not using them?
Thanks for sharing this! Your blog is always so encouraging!
Post a Comment