The water was way far out that day! I realized just how shallow it is for pretty far out. There were lots and lots of seashells, but no way to get down there. It drops off about 5 feet down, so Morgan said he will build us a little ladder after we move :)
In other news, I'm almost finished reading "Under the Overpass" by Mike Yankoski. Stephanie reviewed it and it sounded really good, so I downloaded it to my Nook. It's been really thought-provoking and eye-opening. It's the story of a Christian college student who was at church one day and he felt the Lord calling him to truly depend on His provision for the simplest of needs by living on the streets for 5 months in different US cities. It really makes you look at homelessness in a different way. It has really gotten me to thinking about the simple things I could do to offer hope in Jesus' name to the homeless people that I am always seeing around my town. He talks about how there were so few people who would actually offer them a meal, etc. And sadly, he chronicles so many "church" people who turned them away because they had more important church business to attend to. Unbelievable! When "the church" is too busy doing "church" things, instead of loving God's people, then they aren't much of a church, are they?!
Yes, I suppose I am naive in my thinking. I know tons of people beg for money so they can get their next "fix". But, it bothers me when I hear Christians complaining about the man on the corner who has been out there for years begging. What do they expect him to do? He most likely stinks to high heaven and looks a fright (at least that's what the author describes happened to him!). How's he going to get a job? According to the author, they would sometimes stand in line all day long at the shelter, only to be turned away at the end of the day due to it being full capacity. When we judge the homeless and how they may use the couple of dollars we spare, we are assuming that we are better than them because "we have our act together." I don't know about you, but I don't remember the bible saying that Jesus loves those who have a job and a home more than those who stand out on the corner wondering where their next meal might come from, hoping it won't have to be dug out of the trash. I do remember it saying that whatever we do for the least of these, we do for HIM. This book has just really challenged me not to assume anything and not to pretend that I am better, and that I must look for ways daily to serve others in Jesus' name. So far, I realize I have done very little, pretty much nothing. My faith is nothing; my knowledge is nothing; the challenge I've felt from this book is nothing, if I don't put it into action. I remember reading "Same Kind of Different as Me" and in it, Denver, who used to be homeless, says for us to look at what that money says that we give away. It says, "In God we Trust". When we give in God's name, we should not worry about what they will do with that money. We just have to do our part and God will do His.
I was looking at a Houston shelter's website and they gave a great suggestion of what you can hand out to the homeless, instead of money. They explained how this is very safe too. The director puts together bags filled with toiletries, band-aids, toilet paper, maybe some non-perishable snacks and food, and a bottle of water. When he sees someone in need, he gives them one of these. How simple would it be to have those handy in your car?! I am always hesitant to hand out money to the man I see all the time on the Interstate on my way to dance, because I have the girls with me. But, how easy would it be to roll down the window and hand him something like that? Oh, and they suggested putting a handwritten note of encouragement in there too. I love this idea and I'm definitely going to do it.
Anyhow, I was just thinking about how this post contrasts so much. I start out talking about my new home we're about to build and then end up advocating for the homeless. Obviously, I know nothing about what it means to trust God for my basic survival. But, I love to share what I'm learning and what God is stirring in my heart. I pray that He will use me for the plans that He has. I don't want to be someone who talks the talk, but doesn't DO anything!
8 comments:
I know. we really do not have any idea what that would be like. I'm so thankful and heartbroken at the same time. Your new house sight looks wonderful. loving the swing picture! :)
this post really touched me Kristen! Thank you so much for sharing. Whenever we see someone begging on the side of the road I usually turn my face away and cry. John feels bad, but says we can't exactly stop in the middle of traffic. Also, we rarely have cash on us. The idea of a little baggie with needs is wonderful. It would be so easy to pull over real quick and hand it out - then keep going. I'm going to make some this week to keep in our cars. Thank you for the idea!!
Awesome idea on what to give instead of money. That would be a great service project for small groups to do, or youth groups. Or people in general :) Loved Lily in the tire swing :) Can't wait to see the progress on the house!!
Talk about thought provoking. I found myself saying "Yeah" out loud at the end. I love the idea of making those bags and having them handy in the car! I want to try doing that sometime too!
What a great idea for helping someone out. Since we moved here to Nevada I have seen more people and I always feel so bad. I wish I could help everyone.
I love your property & can't wait to see what all you do. The tire swing brought back memories of ours we had when I was young.
Have you read Same Kind of Different as Me? Probably so, but a good read along the same lines as this book you just finished. Other book recommendations?
Ouch. It's so weird you posted about this because I've had this very subject on my mind lately. I feel the Lord convicting my heart when I always say "Not today" when someone standing outside the grocery store asks for a donation of some kind. I could spare something but I don't. I've never thought of letting God handle the 'afterwards' of my giving. I should just let God do the rest. That's very encouraging.
Thanks so much for sharing this!
BTW...that pic you took of Lily on the tire swing is awesome! I love it! Great job!
I just squealed because I didn't know you bought the land! Yay! (this is how out of touch I am and I hate it). Did you sell your house??? Oh my goodness - it's all beautiful (even the blown out water :o) :o)
I wish you could see how happy I am for you guys. What a wonderful new beginning and what a wonderful experience for your girls! I love it and the shack has tons of character. Love it! Can't wait to see more of it and read as you are moving in. Yay!!!!!!!
And I love the idea about the food sacks. You know, there have been times we have driven past people on the corner in our town and we go to McDonalds or any fast food near by and order a meal and take it to them. They are hesitant at first to take it - but then they are so grateful! Hot food, cold drink - makes all the difference in their world in that moment!
Okay, this is a book.
Yay for you guys!
Post a Comment