I finished Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" last night and it was another great book! It really challenged me to think about something that I don't guess I had really stopped to think about.
The Holy Spirit
Francis' point of this book is that we have forgotten about the power of the Holy Spirit. We walk around with fear and insecurity, churches are known for their intellect and talent rather than supernatural power, and we all seem to be okay with that. We have forgotten about the One who distinguishes us from all other religions and cults.
He talks about how a growing and energetic gathering is not necessarily evidence of the Holy Spirit's work in a church. All you have to do is get some charismatic and talented people together, and you can gain attendance, and it doesn't even have to be a Christian church. Our churches should have people leaving, talking about the power of God, not about the leaders of the church. A great goal he said is that he doesn't want his life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit, meaning that people should see our lives and know that the only way we are doing the things we are is by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Something that really struck a cord with me is that he said we often use "God's will for my life" as an excuse not to let the Spirit work in us right now. He said that most of the time, God is not going to give you your life plan in advance. He says, "To be honest, I believe part of the desire to 'know God's will for my life' is birthed in fear and results in paralysis. Dwelling on trying to figure out God's plan for us often "excuses us from faithful and sacrificial living now." We should be letting the Spirit affect our immediate actions.
He says that scripture does not tell us to live a balanced life with a little bit of God added in. But, most people have done just that. People have "asked Him to join them on their life journey, to follow them wherever they feel they should go, rather than following Him as we are commanded."
I can totally relate to the whole life plan thing. I keep thinking, okay, God's going to let me know what He wants me to do, what my divine burden is, what I'm supposed to be passionate about, and then I can start serving in those areas. Wow! I can see my thinking has been totally wrong.
The Spirit of God lives in me. Think about that. That is huge! Francis says that if he claimed God entered his body and gave him a supernatural ability to play basketball, you would question the validity of his statement if there was not an amazing improvement in his skills. It's the same way with the Holy Spirit. When people outside the church do not see any difference in our lives than theirs, they will question our integrity and our God.
A great song, that perfectly fits this message, is one by Leeland called "Holy Spirit Have Your Way." That is my prayer. To see more of the Holy Spirit, and less of me. If you go to about 2:20, that's my favorite part :)
10 comments:
Oh I know...so many Christians don't even think much about the Holy Spirit and His Power. He is a "Person" of the Trinity and He lives in each believer. He seals us and we can never lose our Salvation.
He guides us , prompts us, leads us, convicts us, comforts us, teaches us, gives us assurance of our salvation...I could go on and on. I love to study the Word about The Holy Spirit.
I am so glad that you brought this up today Kristin...we all need to consider The Holy Spirit and we need to be aware that we can grieve Him when we don't follow His promptings.
I love how much you are learning and how you help us all by sharing with us.
I love you and your growing faith.
Momma Linda
I know I just left a comment, but I just have to say one more thing. I am so excited that one of your ministries in life is to share your faith here in blogland and on facebook.
You have a gift Kristin. You state things so plainly and it is so easy to understand. You are so real, so sincere. Your love for the Lord is so apparent and it moves my heart each time I read what you write.
I think you have found your "nitch" in how to serve God.
Just be willing to share when the Spirit leads you.
Your life is a sweet fragrance to God...the fragrance of Christ within you...
Love, Linda
I can't wait to read that book, along with a million others! I am so glad that you liked it! I am just so excited for you, and what God is doing in your life, Kristin!
It's an encouragement to hear how the Lord is working in your life. You've got a special thing and the Lord will see that He uses you to bring Him glory.
Oh wow! I am just so overwhelmed with the revelation that you have just shared. God is revealing Himself to you Kristin. The Holy Spirit of God lives in me! That is huge!" The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells in you and me! The power of God lives in us and will lead, guide, and empower us to accomplish exactly what God desires in our lives. You have just made me so giddy with excitement to see God all over every area of your life. And, just think, it is just the beginning of a great journey, with so much more to come. :)
Kristin I love how you share things that really touch & move your heart. So glad that the Holy Spirit does dwell in us...but people must see that difference. Awesome!
This sounds like it was a really good book! Even more than that, I love the way it spoke directly to you! I love what Linda had to say in her comment to. Maybe this is your calling...just using your blog/FB to minister to people about your personal experience with the Lord. How powerful is that!
P.S. What a great song with awesome lyrics!
great post...leaving us thinking friend!
I have been dealing with a lot of the issues you mentioned. Thanks for sharing your heart.
"When people outside the church do not see any difference in our lives than theirs, they will question our integrity and our God."
Exactly. If people who aren't Christians see us living the opposite of what we say and believe then why would they want a change of heart?
I have been looking for a good book that would make me think. I am going to have to pick this one up.
Post a Comment