I had good intentions of linking up with Lynnette the other day to share our Christmas traditions, but never had a chance to. Today, my friend Christy Rose tagged me to share my Christmas memories and traditions, so I think this will be fun!
I am supposed to tag 5 people.......if you have time, please join in! I know lots of you are busy right now, so please write your own post if you would like to and then let me know so I can make sure to read it! Besides, you know I'd have to tag everyone, because I can't stand the thought of anyone feeling left out :(
Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I have a horrible memory. I just don't remember things for some reason. I don't really remember any specific thing that I got for Christmas growing up, except for my first bicycle when I was about 6. It actually snowed on Christmas and I insisted that my Dad go out with me and teach me how to ride!
Both sets of my grandparents lived in the same town about an hours drive away when I was growing up, before we moved to Baytown. So, my parents and I would open our presents on Christmas Eve, Santa would come Christmas morning, and then we would drive to see my grandparents. We always had Christmas when we got there with my Mom's parents and then that evening, we would go over to my Dad's parents. Then we would spend the night at my Mom's parent's house and usually go back home the next day or so.
All those years of opening presents and I couldn't tell you one single thing that I remember getting. But, what I do remember is my MeMe always meeting us at the back door with her apron on. I remember how my Granny always had those silver icicles that she hung on her tree. I remember that it was never, ever a chore for us to get together. We loved each other's company and the love in each of those families.......well, I wish somehow I could've bottled it up back then and just let a little out each Christmas, just so I could have that feeling back again. Christmas was never about the gifts back then. It was always about family and love.
Once I got married, we would do Christmas Eve with my parents and Christmas Day with Morgan's parents, just to make it easier. I made a rule too once I had my girls. We would never spend Christmas away from home, so that Santa could come to our house. Now that my Dad lives 4 hours away, we have to either go there before or after Christmas or they have to come here. It's not always easy. The first year, we went there. The past two years, they've come here. This year, we have no plans to go there and they have no plans to come here. It's just really hard when you have a limited amount of days, I don't like to travel, and my Stepmom works full-time. It stresses me out more than I even want to think about.
I am excited this year to have Christmas Day with Zoey. This is her first Christmas and I just feel that Christmas really is for the kids. I couldn't care less if I get one gift. I just want to be with my family and have fun and make memories. I can't wait to see what she does with all of her presents and how the girls will react to her. She's such a precious baby girl! I bet we will get some really cute photos of them!
One thing we started the year that my Mom died, our first Christmas without her, is that we started watching "Christmas Vacation" every Christmas Eve. We would always watch that movie at some point, every year, during the holidays, but now we make a point to do it on Christmas Eve. That first year, it was just my Dad that came over and I think we were all so lost without my Mom that we just needed something to do, so that we didn't just end up staring at each other or crying, so we watched that movie. It was also our first Christmas in this house. Now, it's a tradition and it cracks me up every single time I watch it!! :D
Another thing we do now is make Christmas cookies and decorate them, on Christmas Eve, for Santa. Each girl gets to choose a cookie they made to put on the plate for Santa, along with a glass of milk. We usually sprinkle some reindeer food out on the front lawn for the reindeer too. I love seeing their faces when they see that Santa ate their cookies and the reindeer ate their food! I also love the excitement of when they come downstairs and see what Santa left for them. That is one thing that I do remember about Christmas from when I was little......I remember the excitement of hearing about Santa's sleigh, and where he was on the map, and going to sleep knowing that he would visit. It was just so magical, like a fairytale, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
This is the first year that we've been in church during Christmas. I am excited for the Leeland concert Friday, and the Christmas program at a local church that we are traveling to with our church on Christmas Eve. This Sunday, they are also having a kid's Christmas party. I am looking forward to the message Sunday too. I love our church. It's a new family for us.
I love seeing Christmas through the eyes of my girls. I love their excitement of decorating the tree, Christmas parades, baking cookies, gifts given with love, the miracle of snow in Texas! I love that this year, I am truly realizing the gift that was given to me through my savior, Jesus Christ. Still, this time of year is just such a reminder to me of all that I have lost. As hard as I try, I just can't get used to the idea of my Mom not being here anymore and I have to admit that it makes me sad during this time of year. I wish my girls had gotten to know their MeMe. I do know that the one thing I will always remember about Christmas was feeling loved and that is what I want my girls to remember too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kristin,
Loved reading about your Christmas memories. I feel the same way about gifts for Christmas. I couldn't care if I get anything. I just enjoy giving them away and making memories with my family. Thanks for sharing your Christmas traditions here and letting us share in your memories of your past. I will be praying for you this Christmas that you know that your mom is with you, in your heart and in your memories. You can share her with your girls for now and they will have eternity to get to know her themselves. :) You are so blessed to have loving memories at Christmas growing up and to be able to pass that blessing on to your beautiful girls. I hope this is your best Christmas ever!
Christy
I am in agreement that this year has been a special one! I also love seeing Christmas through the eyes of our girls even though we don't go through the whole thing with Santa.
Since we didn't have a lot of traditions growing up, I hope that we can do that with our girls. I want them to look back at Christmas time and have good memories of their childhood.
I can't imagine how hard it must be to go through the holidays without your mom. I know she would be so proud of the mom you've become! You are doing such an amazing job! Love ya!
Post a Comment