
This week's topic, at Lynnette's "So We Don't Forget", is to tell you about our first home after we were married. Click on the button to join in!
Morgan and I were married in 1999. Both of us were still living with our parents, so we looked around at apartments in the area we were both working, which was in NW Houston. Neither one of us made much money back then. He was working as a technical writer for a company that wrote manuals for Compaq Computers. I was working for Universal Computer Systems, which was a company that provided computers and software to car dealerships. So, we found this nice apartment complex that we both loved. Our apartment was brand new and had never been lived in before. It was at the high end of our range, but we picked it anyways and signed a year lease.
Here's a picture of Mom and I outside the little porch of our apartment.
Let me tell you, for this apartment to have been brand new, it sure did have a lot of problems! Before we even moved in, there was a leak in the wall between our apartment and the neighbors, and the carpet in our closet got all wet and moldy. Ugh!
Then, one time we had a really hard, blowing rain, and this whole dining area leaked and the carpet was soaked. So, they had to come clean that up.
This is a picture my Mom took when we were moving our stuff in. That little table was my Mom's and she gave it to us because she wanted a new one.
Here's a picture of me in our tiny kitchen.
We had barely any furniture. Just a bed frame. In fact, it's only been in the last few years that we finally bought a bedroom set of furniture! I remember picking out this comforter at Target though. I thought it was so pretty and simple.
Here's our kitchen.
It was only 3 months after we were married and living here, that I got pregnant with Madison. So, she was going to be due exactly when our lease was due to be up! During the end of my pregnancy, I had major swelling and for the last couple of weeks, the Dr. put me on bed rest. I remember just laying on that couch, hanging out with my feet propped up. One night, the A/C went out on us, in the middle of August's 100 degree weather, with me 9 months pregnant! They were like, "we'll send someone out sometime tomorrow!" I remember not being too happy about that!!
So, since our lease was up and Madison decided to show up a week early (the day after my Birthday), one of the days that I was in the hospital with her, Morgan was out moving our stuff out of our apartment and into our house that we decided to rent from his Mom, trying to get everything ready before we came home from the hospital! Poor guy......he must've been exhausted, being a new Daddy and trying to get everything ready for us girls.
The house we rented just happened to be the house he grew up in. But, his Mom moved out and we needed a place to move into, so we lived there for a year until we bought our first house in Baytown. It was weird coming home with a baby to a whole new place. In fact, I think all the cleaning Mom and I were doing on my Birthday, trying to get everything ready at the new house was probably what sent me into labor. I remember standing up in a chair in the kitchen, putting dishes up (yes, I was supposed to be on bed rest!), and feeling these weird pains. I would stop for a minute, be like "Ouch!" and then I'd keep on going. I didn't even realize those were contractions! LOL!!
The next morning, I woke up and we headed to the hospital around 8am. I was already 7cm! I guess I had really been in labor since the day before and just didn't know it.
So, despite it's little problems, I have lots of memories from our first little apartment. It really was a nice place and it was just right down the road from the hospital that I delivered Madison at, which worked out great!

12 comments:
Wow sounds like you have some nice memories. Thanx for sharing :)
Caroline
It is always nice to remember where you came from, so you can be thankful for what you have.
It is funny that with a first baby we really don't have any idea of what to expect! I know I was like that.
I liked your first little apartment home. It is kinda like you are "playing house" when ya first get married huh? It takes time to feel real.
Poor Morgan having to do all of that on his own to get ready for his "girls" to come home to a new place. Sounds like he has been taking good care of all of his girls ever since. (wink*)
I liked the pictures,...and hearing about your first years together.
Love, Momma Linda
Such sweet memories.
So sweet! Your hubby deserved a prize for doing all that work!!
Man, your little apt did give you some problems for being so new!!
when we first moved into our appt we pushed my two old twin beds together to fit our king mattress. the mattress took up the WHOLE room!! :) then, when we had elayna, we put one of the twins up in her room for me if I needed it and bought a $30 bed frame. We used that bed frame for quite a few years! :) your appt looked really cute.
Hi again Kristin,
I am writing another comment to answer your question. Yes, that was a picture from the night that Lynnette won the "Miss Derby Days"
contest.
The next year they changed the name to Miss Derby and the winner competed in Miss Kansas.
Lynnette doesn't like to talk much about it,...but it was fun at the time. She rode in the Derby Days Parade in a pink convertible and waved to the crowd. I thought it was pretty exciting.
Then she crowned the next year's winner who happened to be her friend and neighbor. By that time she was going with Kyle, and he ran the sound equipment for that pageant.
I know some people think pageants are not good, but I have liked them since I was a little girl. I loved to watch Miss America.
Oh the good ole apartment days. Seems like something was always needing to be fixed:) Leaks are no fun. Glad you got out of your lease in time for the arrival of your precious baby.
It's so fun to think back on these sweet memories! It's nice to visit with you a little this Wednesday!
Kristin, you're one of the only ones with pictures of your first home. Fun! It was really cute (and so were/are you by the way!)
Poor hubby! Trying to get you moved before you came home from the hospital with a new baby. What a man! :)
It was a fun read.
Love ya.
Lynnette
Aww! How sweet and what a trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing that time of your life with us. :) We lived in an apartment for a year and a half, then moved to a condo, not much different but a little bigger, then to a huge 5000 square foot home that was the parsonage of the church we were on staff at. We were only there 3 months. Then, to a small farmhouse, way in the country. I loved that. Then back to town in a small 3 bedroom house. We lived there for 3 years. Then moved back to our home towns and bought and moved into my grandpa's old house, lived there for 9 years. Just last year, we bought a home that we shopped for and chose ourselves. We were married for 17 years by that time. All of the places that we lived in have such wonderful memories though. We usually had a baby while we lived at most of them. HAHAHA
Christy
Post a Comment