Click here to read part 1.
That weekend was in May. In early September, we moved to La Grange, Texas. That was about an hours drive from Austin. La Grange was a small town. I think the population was around 5,000. Your Dad was working for Brown & Root even then. His job had just ended in Austin. Your Uncle Dennis was already working in La Grange. He lived with us and commuted back and forth from Austin. We rented a two bedroom apartment in La Grange so Uncle Dennis could live with us. Every weekend, Dennis went to Hubbard. He would leave on Friday after work, and come back on Sunday night. It was a 3 hour drive from La Grange to Hubbard.
We had been living in La Grange about 3 weeks. Dennis went home and when he came back, he said that Daddy was sick. He had another spell with his heart. He said Daddy would be fine and said Mother would call if she needed me. Little did we know that the events of that weekend would change our lives forever. Our prayers would be answered and you truly are a miracle of God.
That Sunday night, while we were all watching television, the phone rang. It was Mother. She said, "Dana Kay, do you and Terry want Susan's baby, Summer?" I said, "Yes", and started to cry. So did she. My Daddy and your Dad had to talk because Mother and I had to get ourselves together. Dennis was saying, "What's wrong?" I could only shake my head. When I finally could talk, I took the phone. Mother got herself together and said that Aunt Ella had talked to Barbara, Susan's sister. She said that you were going to be put in an orphan's home. Aunt Ella said, "Why don't y'all let Terry and Dana Kay have her?" She said yes. Oh, your Uncle Dennis said, "Don't you ever do that to me again!" You see, he thought something bad had happened to Daddy. Bless his heart, for it would have scared me too.
Things began to happen real fast. Since we had just moved, we were broke. We had spend about $600 moving and that was all we had. Mother called and told us to find a lawyer and see what he would charge. She said that she and Daddy were going to send us the money. I called a friend who lived there and was also from Hubbard. JoAnn said there was a lawyer they had used and his name was Richard Halpain. So, Monday morning I went to see him and told him about everything and that it was a family situation. He said he would draw up the papers for $200. I called Mother and she wired the money.
I called Barbara, as she had you then. She said you were real sick. You had an infection called thrush and malnutrition. She also said that they didn't know where Susan was or even if she would change her mind. Kristin, Barbara wanted to adopt you so bad. Her husband, Mervin, said no. It wasn't because he didn't love you, but he felt since Barbara and Susan were sisters, that it just wouldn't work. Of course, I agreed with him, but then I wasn't very objective because I wanted you.
Tuesday, I picked up the papers from Mr. Halpain. When I got home, your Dad and Uncle Dennis pulled in right after me. I told them to go and clean up, as they were taking me to Liberty that night. I don't even remember how far or how long it took to get there. I guess I was too nervous.
When we arrived at Barbara's, she was holding you. I wanted to take you and go home so bad, but I couldn't. I had to wait and see Sue, if and when she decided to show up, and get the papers signed in front of a notary. All we could do was wait and pray that she didn't change her mind. Your Dad and Uncle Dennis had to go back home that night so they could be at work. It was really hard to see your Dad leave, but I knew he had to.
That night, I wouldn't even pick you up, because I knew if I did, I could never let you go. I loved you so much it hurt. Later that night, you woke and were fretful. Barbara scolded you and then I couldn't stand it any longer. I picked you up and sat down on the side of the bed and rocked and sang to you until you fell asleep. You were so little and looked so lost. You just snuggled up in my arms, and I think even then you knew how very much I loved you. A baby knows when they are loved. No baby could have been loved or wanted more than we did you.
Wednesday morning, Barbara and I took her oldest son, Casey, to school. Andy was just a little thing. I guess he was about 3 or 4 then. Then we came back to her house. We were both big Elvis fans, and he had just died. We were listening to old records and talking about our teenage years when Sue walked in. When I saw her, I got up and walked over and hugged her. Of course, I began to cry.
You were asleep in your playpen. We (Barbara, Sue, and I) went and sat down at the table. Barbara started laughing. I thought there wasn't anything funny, and she said, "Dana, go wash your face." I had cried so much, my mascara was streaked like a zebra. I told Sue how much we loved and wanted you. All she said was, "I can't raise her with the life I lead." Then she said she wanted to sign the papers.
You woke up and she picked you up and as she handed you to me she said, "Here's your new Mommy." She turned and walked out and got in her car. Barbara, you, and I followed her in Barbara's car to the next county to sign the papers. Sue was by herself. After we signed the papers, she just got in her car and drove away. On the way back, Barbara said she was real happy for us. I told her that we had decided to change your name. She asked why and I told her that we wanted to name you Kristin Denise. Had we gotten you when you were born, or had a natural child, we had said that if we ever had a boy, it would be "Christian." A friend of ours suggested "Kristin", as that was fairly close to "Christian". I always liked the name "Denise", and had your Uncle Dennis been a girl, he would have been named "Katherine Denise," instead of being named after my Daddy, as he didn't have a name, only "J L Christian, Jr." They named him Dennis Jay. Besides, had we not changed your name, it would have been "Summer Suzette Long"......all summer long. Can you imagine the jokes you would have gotten?
Before we got to Barbara's house, we stopped at the courthouse to see if we could get a copy of your original birth certificate. We couldn't. Mr. Halpain wanted it, but the court clerk said she couldn't get it, some rule I guess. I wanted to know how much you weighed at birth. We still don't know for sure, but Okie and Bob said about 7 pounds. The day the papers were signed, I began to call you Kristin and I knew in my heart you were mine. The only regret I have was I wished your Dad could have been there with us. All I wanted to do was take you and go home to my husband.
You were still sick and Barbara had to call the Doctor for some more medicine. I couldn't go home yet because of that, and the alternator on our car went out. Mervin was out of town working, so you and I had to stay until Friday. As Barbara was fixing supper that night, still Wednesday, you had been crawling on the floor. I went to pick you up and you were wet. I took you in the bedroom to change your diaper. After I did, I looked down into those very trusting little eyes and said, "Kristin, your Mommy loves you so very, very much." Never expecting you to answer, and much to my surprise, you said "Mama." I called Barbara and found out that those were your very first words. Of course, I had to have another cry. Ha!!!!!!
to be continued in part 3.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So beautiful...
God always has a plan. Can't wait for the rest of the story.
Oh my goodness. Just precious. Wow what an amazing story. A true Mother's love. She has a beautiful way with words too. Sorry I spelled your name wrong on the last comment. I put an e instead of an I sorry.
Tears are filling my eyes just the same way they did the first time I read your adoption story! In reading your mom's words, I can feel the love she had for you pouring from the page!
Oh my word, I can't take this...I am crying tears of joy for you. This should be a book, a movie, something you can share with the whole world! I am so happy for you right now!!
Amazing love...God is awesome...
What a treasure you have in these words Kristin! Thank you for sharing them...
This just gets better and better and more special with each post! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Oh gosh Kristin!!!! This is such an amazing story. You better hurry back with part three!!!
Post a Comment