Help! Photography Skills Needed!

My sweet friend, Stephanie, over at The Hanes Family blog, is expecting a new little boy in a few weeks and she asked me to make her little sweet pea a "Big Sister" shirt. I was more than happy to and this is what I came up with:


A close-up view:
Stephanie has a really neat etsy boutique too and she is passionate about Mommy-owned businesses just like I am. You can visit her shop by clicking on her button below. She makes the cutest cloth diapers, nursing covers, and blankets. In fact, we decided to do a trade for the shirt that I made her and she made me a taggie blanket for little Miss Zoey! I know Zoey is going to love it and I love being able to do trades like that. It's so much fun!!




So, after being told by numerous people after receiving their orders from Summer Suzette Couture that my pictures don't do the products justice (LOL!), I'm thinking I need some tips on my photography skills for sure! I mean, I'm flattered and all that everyone likes their products even more when they get them, but I want to be able to take photos that accurately portray what you are buying!
First of all, I know I need to buy some type of form to put my shirts on. The metal cross was not bought for that purpose, I promise. Ha!! I'm thinking maybe I need to take photos outside too, to utilize the natural light. Taking pictures with the flash is washing out all my colors and making them look really boring and drab. The "big sister" shirt, for example, is a really pretty pink color, but looks really light in that picture. I have a nice camera now, but I have no idea how to use it, so I just keep it on the auto setting. I think I also need to invest in some type of photo editing program. Can anyone recommend something that is easy to use and not too expensive?
If you have any other product photography tips that you want to share, I sure could use them! I know that with an online store, the pictures make or break your sales, and I don't think mine are working too well for me right now. LOL!!
I also want to take a moment to remember this day, 8 years ago, that such horrible tragedy occured and forever changed our history. I will never forget how terrifying it was to have a one year old little girl, and wonder what kind of future she was going to have in our world and it's new reality. I know that what evil men mean for our harm, God turns around and always uses for His good. We do not have to be afraid, or live in fear, when we serve the creator of everything in the Universe!
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!

8 comments:

christy rose said...

I think that shirt is adorable! I have no photography skills. Sorry! Point and shoot!!! LOL

Mich said...

I have a great camera, love to take pictures, but I just experiment along the way. sorry, I have no real advice to share for I'm still learning how my camera works.

Kari said...

Wish I could give you secrets. I have none and if you look at my photos you'll notice that :o) I edit my photos in Adobe Macromedia Fireworks. I can't tell you the cost. We may have gotten it from my hubby's work (he programs software, so....) I can help in making a regular or dull photo look amazing with just a few adjustments. I'm sure photo shop or picasa does the same. Even photobucket gives you some cool options that can really make a photo cool. For big time professional stuff - not sure! Your stuff is great!

Katie said...

Kristin,
Natural light, there are free editing things on your computer probably. Just deepen the contrast and bring down the brightness. That should really make it pop. Or have me come fly down there to take some pictures (:

Veronica said...

First of all, I'm sorry for not emailing you sooner today. I just haven't been on the computer much today. Second, I LOVE the shirt you made for Valerie! It is just perfect! I can't wait until we need to order a shirt from you again! ;) As for offering any photography tips, I am useless for that! Sorry! :( You might try asking Mimi. She always has some awesome pics on her blog and I think she edits them using Photoshop.

Hope you're having a good day so far and I will talk to you later!

He & Me + 3 said...

No photography secrets here. Just make the background as plain as possible so the focus is the item you are trying to sell. I use sheets as backdrops. Works great. Also, outdoor pics on cloudy days is great then you have no shadows but still natural light and you don't have to use your flash. That will give you a more true color. I use picnik.com to edit my pics because I don't have PS for my Mac yet. Hope those help. The shirt is gorgeous. BTW

Holly said...

A lot of people like Adobe Lightroom and that is the one I plan on getting to edit my photos. It's the one Christina used to edit my carousel photo and she (w/ the program) made it look amazing!

Stephanie said...

LOVE it! Thank you SO much, Kristin! I can't wait to see it in person...and to have our Sweet Pea wear it when her baby brother arrives!