Yesterday, Madison's BFF Audrey had a Birthday party.
Here was the cute cake that her Grandmother made her. Her Grandmother is my friend that owns a bakery.
(I think Lily was just trying to figure out the whole time if this girl was really Hannah! After she left, Lily said, "Where's Hannah?" She wasn't too sure what to think about it all.)
Yesterday at church, we talked about praying again, specifically about "Why Didn't God Answer My Prayer?"
We talked about how God always hears your prayers and he always answers them, but sometimes it might not be how we expected him to or what we expected to happen. That doesn't mean he didn't answer us....we just have to be open to see His answer.
We talked about what matters when we pray. Our relationships matter, our motives matter, and the way we live matters. Our faith also matters. Not the amount of faith we have, but rather the object of simply having faith. Most importantly though, God's will matters. Sometimes, God's power is made known in our weakness. God wants us also to see that His grace is enough to get us through those hard times.
I thought about that alot. I can think of 2 specific times that I have begged God for a certain outcome and He did not answer my prayer in the way that I had hoped. One was when my Mom was dying and He did not make her better. The other has been for my anxiety to simply go away. I can honestly say though, that these two issues have been the two things that have brought me closest to Him. They have been the things that made me have to rely on my relationship with Him just to simply function. They've made me more compassionate, more loving toward those who are ill, and most importantly they've strengthened my relationship so much with the Lord. I know I would not be sitting here typing about what I learned in church if these things had not happened in my life. I believe that every time I learn something new about Him, every time I tell you what He's doing in my life, His power is made known! His grace is enough! We can search and search in our lives for things to fill those empty voids or for things to make us feel better, but absolutely NO THINGS in our lives will ever do. Our Pastor said that what matters the very most in prayer is that we have an honest relationship with God through Christ. It starts with Christ--He is the only way.
Who would I be right now if my Mom were still here and if I wasn't close with the Lord? I would probably still be working full-time, expecting my Mom to pretty much raise my girls for me. I don't think Morgan and I would be as close as we are now. I know we wouldn't be in church. My girls wouldn't be learning about the Lord. I wouldn't know any of you! I wouldn't have met my best friend, Veronica. I would still have no patience for sick people. I will be honest and say that before my Mom died, I had gotten everything that I ever wanted. Not necessarily material things, but life had just been pretty easy. I was confident, or cocky, depending on how you look at it. I pretty much thought I knew everything. I didn't approach people with love in mind, although I've always had a loving heart. I approached everyone by comparing them to myself. Everything was about ME. Yes, I wish I could've learned these lessons without having to lose my Mom, but that is not what the Lord had planned for me. And having the anxiety issues has definitely knocked me down off my high and mighty pedestal, that's for sure!
So, although the answer wasn't what I wanted, it was done according to His will, and I know that He always knows what is best. He sees the big picture and how things are going to work out. He knows how these events will lead to other things in our lives. His plan is always perfect!
8 comments:
Gosh, I can't remember the last time I was the first person to comment here on your blog! :)
This post touched me so much! First of all, I loved seeing the pics of the girls all ready for school. Makes me wish I could have seen them in person. :) They just looked so happy!
Second, although I haven't really connected at church lately, I have come to love hearing what you've learned at church. Yesterday's message was awesome!
Well, it's amazing to see the Lord's hand upon both of our lives. It's just wild how one thing can change the course of your life! I honestly don't think I would have been the same person I am today either had things not happened as they did at the beginning of this year.
I am especially thankful that the Lord brought you into my life when He did. I just don't know what I'd do without you! Thanks so much for just being there! I pray that one day you won't have to deal with the anxiety anymore, and I hope that day is sooner rather than later. Afterall, you are gonna have to make that trip out to CA, you know!
Love ya!
Thanks for sharing your heart...loved the part about how God answers our prayers, just not always the way we want Him too. So true, my friend.
Your girls are adorable!!!
Such a touching post Kristin! I loved reading about the lesson at Church this past Sunday and how God answers all prayers just maybe not how we expected him to.
The girls looked very cute on their first day back. I remember when I used to be excited about going back to school ha! That party seemed like it was really neat. What a gorgeous cake!
Simple honesty and transparency. Beautiful my friend!
Glad you're enjoying the CD. Are you singing/worshiping with her yet???
Kristin, what a heartfelt and perfectly inspiring post. My favorite part of your post was this:
"I can honestly say though, that these two issues have been the two things that have brought me closest to Him..." Amen! It's through those tough times, difficult situations, etc. that God molds us and uses us. I'm so inspired by the story of Joseph in the scriptures. He was given trial after trial - yet he came out a winner! He was a man of integrity, of courage...he was kind and humble... he was a man of great faith and I want to be a woman with all the same things.
Thanks for sharing - oh and your girls are just precious in their first day of school attire.
Love you Kristin,
Lynnette
Kristin, Your girls are just adorable. They have on the cutest outfits ever!
I loved your post today. yes it really could fit right in the meme that I participated in this week. Telling what God is revealing to us helps us get it even deeper inside of us. Also if we all share it with each other, we can all learn together what the Lord is saying to His body all across the world. Isn't that amazing. I think is even kind of cool because even in the same church, different people can get different things from the same message. And by sharing it, we might be able to see something we missed.
I loved what you learned. "God's power is made known in our weakness. God wants us also to see that His grace is enough to get us through those hard times." I loved this statement because it is so true. We live in a world where sin abounds and we are going to encounter hard things. But, His grace will see us through and empower us to overcome. We will come through the valleys under His protection. And, He will turn our obstacles into pathways for us to get to His promised provision. When it looks like everything is impossible and we can not make it, that is when we quit trying to fix things on our own and look to Him, which is what we should do in the first place, and expect His grace to bring us through. I loved reading this. It is so awesome to read what God is showing you.
Can't wait until next week to hear what God has shown you all week. :)
God Bless,
Christy
Kristin, Thanks for the weekly update on what God is teaching you! This is something I really look forward to.
God is at work in your life and in your heart, and He is using you to help others.
I love it how God gave you Veronica,...and how He gave me both of you.
I am sad that you have lost your mom, but happy for all that God has shown you. And when I say "lost your mom",...that really isn't true cuz you know she is alive with Christ and that you will see her again,...AND get to spend eternity with her! Isn't that awesome?
Yes, God hears all of our prayers and works His will in each of our lives.
Your girls are adorable. The party looked like fun,...and I liked seeing the school girls in their new outfits. I remember how fun it was to start school each Fall.
We are off on our trip tomorrow. I won't be on the computer for a while.
I will miss you. But remember I will be praying for you.
Love, Mama Linda
That jukebox cake is so cool!
Wow, your life would be quite different if you mom was here. I'm sorry that she isn't able to still be here with you but the Lord has certainly worked in your life! Praise Him!
Post a Comment