On 8-6-87, I made the most important decision that I will ever have to make in my life.
It's a decision that I hope each one of you reading this has made.
And if you haven't, it's a decision that I hope you will consider making today.
Because, one second after you die, it is too late and we are never guaranteed tomorrow.
On 8-6-87, at the age of 11, I made the decision to accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior.
As I write that date, I cannot believe that it was almost 22 years ago!
I have a horrible memory, which most of my friends and family will attest to. The details of that day are minimal. In fact, I had to look up the date in my Mom's Bible because that was one detail that I couldn't remember.
When I was a little girl, we went to a wonderful church that truly was like our family. I went to Latham Springs church camp with the other kids from our church that Summer. I don't remember alot from church camp. It seems to me that there was a huge cliff on the walking trail that you could look over and it was a huge drop and supposedly someone had fallen off of it and died. I remember a little stream that you would cross on the walking trail. I remember sleeping in bunk beds and waking up in the middle of the night and telling my friend that my bed was wet and asking if I could sleep with her. Turns out, her bed was wet too. Some of the guys had opened the door to our cabin and sprayed us with a water hose in the middle of the night! We found out what had happened the next day.
I don't remember a lot about why I decided to make that decision that day, but the one thing I do remember is calling my Mom with the news. Do y'all remember what it was like when you fell in love? Do you remember that excited, tingly feeling and how you just knew that no one else in the world could be more in love than you were at that very moment? Do you remember how you just knew that because of this new love, your life would be forever changed and that nothing would ever be the same? Well, that's how I remember feeling that day. In the very depths of my soul, I knew that my life would never be the same. I knew that I had made the right decision. I was overflowing with love and excitement. It was a joy and a happiness that I had never felt before.
On September 27, 1987, on my Mom's Birthday, I was baptized at church. Little did I know, that exactly 17 years later to the day, I would literally fall to my knees and cry out to my Lord like I had never done before and ask him why He had to take my Mom away from me. I didn't understand how He could do that to me. The next day, she was gone.
It didn't take long for me to realize that there was no way I was going to make it through my grief without Him. And what I realized, is that He had never left me. He was just waiting for me to come back to Him. Even when I was angry with Him, He never stopped loving me.
It was a long journey for me to get to where I am today. Today, I feel that same excitement that I did 22 years ago. I will forever be glad that I made that decision. It was the best one that I have ever made! It truly is one of those things that you just can't possibly imagine until you experience it for yourself!
13 comments:
Oh Kristin, thank you for sharing about that most important day in your life. Your name is written in the Book of Life. Mine is too! I'm so thankful for that.
Isn't the Lord wonderful and how loving and merciful He is. He can handle our anger and our questions. And He waits for us to turn back.
BTW, my niece is named Kristin too and she spells it the same way. It's unusual to see it spelled that way. That's the Norwegian spelling.
Kristin, your love for the Lord is so strong and so real,...and simply beautiful! I love the way that you want everyone to know the Lord the way that you do.
Even since I first read your blog posts I have seen spiritual growth in your life. I have seen a tender heart that wants to serve the Lord and to do things that please Him.
If I can see it, and other bloggers can see it by what you say,...then other people around you are sure to see it too.
I am sure the Lord is pleased and glorified.
Keep being who you are in Christ. You are the genuine article girl!
Thanks for sharing your faith. Thanks for telling us the feelings that you had when you got saved....they were beautiful.
Thanks for sharing the feelings that you had when your mom passed on to heaven.
Your honesty can be helpful to others who may be going through the loss of a loved one. It might just be exactly what they needed to hear today,...the testimony of your faith in Him, and how He helped you through a very hard time.
I think He wanted you to share all of this! ((smile))
Well, I am off to church for prayer meeting.
Take care,
Linda
Kristin-
How exciting! I made my decision also in August and was baptized at church camp! I remember during the alter call I felt like I had a tac in my butt, I could not sit down! I knew I had to go up and dedicate my life to Christ!
Thank you for all of your prayers and encouragement! I can't wait to see Molly's shirt!!
Great post Kristin! I don't really remember what it felt like when I became a christian because I was only five years old. I know what it feels like to help someone become a christian though. I have helped one girl a while back and just a few days ago, my friend asked me a bunch of questions about being a christian and then told me she was going to be renewed being a christian. It was a great feeling. That is so sad about your mom! Just a few days ago a 16year old found her mother dead. I think it is so sad whenever anyone's parent (s) pass away. I like your blog because I can actually understand your christian talk about things. I like simple talk like that. :0)
A priceless memory for sure. Praise the Lord!
I absolutely love your post and love this one sooo very much!!!
Bless your lovely heart.
Oh Kristin, that's wonderful! Yes, I do know what you mean - about that wonderful feeling you get that says "you are making the right decision - one that will truly CHANGE you forever!" It is so exciting.
Thank you for sharing your tender and beautiful heart. I see Jesus in you Kristin.
Love,
Lynnette
Great Post, God is using you in a mighty way and growing you, I love it.
Good morning! I guess I'm the last person to read your post from yesterday!!! I am so sorry!
What a special story of how you came to the Lord:) I also remember attending church camp when I was young. It was so much fun and I always remember when I'd go home I'd feel on fire for the Lord, even at a young age. I seriously have no clue when I originally got saved. I remember saying the sinners prayer so many times, but in all honestly, I don't think I ever really had a true and personal relationship with God until more recently. I am definitely a work in progress, but I am finding a new sense of freedom in Christ that I have never experienced until now. I know I have a long road to go, but at least this time I realize I cannot do things on my own. I need Him desperately!
Well, love you lots and hope you have a great day! So much to do, so little time!!!
Kristin, I just stopped by from Bethany's at Happy as can be. I am so glad that I did. Happy Birthday in the Lord! What a wonderful day for you. I read your adoption story and I cried all the way through it. It is an amazing love that your mom shared with you. I only hope to have my children feel as loved when they grow up as you have portrayed in your story. I would love to follow you as you venture in this life with the Lord, if you do not mind. I feel privileged to meet you. You are very blessed to be a momma of three girls that you can continue the love that your mom showed you in their lives.
Christy Rose
Beautiful post, Kristin! Praise the Lord continually...for He is good! What a neat story! Isn't it so comforting to know that the Lord will always be there for us even when we're the angriest at him? I've been there myself many years ago when I miscarried for the first time. Little did I know that his plans for our second child was far more better than I ever could have imagined.
Thanks for always sharing your heart. I really miss reading your blog on a daily basis.
Have a great holiday weekend sweet friend!
Love,
Daphine
I wish I remembered the exact day I was saved. I was five and it never got written down. But, the date doesn't matter, right? The more important thing is where we will end up when we die. So, glad we'll be in Heaven with Jesus!! :)
Post a Comment