The Robert E. Lee Brigadiers

If you would like to join us on a walk down memory lane, click on the picture above to find out how!

Recently, on facebook, a friend of mine started a group for the former Robert E. Lee Brigadiers and it got me to thinking about how much being a part of that group influenced my life.

The Lee Brigadiers were an all-girl drum and bugle corp at my high school. We had the band that marched at half-time, but instead of having a drill or dance team, we had the Brigadiers. It was founded in the 1930's. We marched military style and wore confederate style uniforms (since we went to Lee High School). Every girl played either a bugle or the drums. We had different ranks (sergeant, major, commander, etc). As a junior, you had the option of trying out to be an officer so that you could lead the corp Senior year.

I've spoken before about my very best friend, Jennifer. When we were in 8th grade, we decided to try out for Brig. We both decided that we would play soprano bugle. It's like a trumpet, only it has 2 keys instead of 3. After trying to play our bugles, we decided it sounded like we were killing a bunch of cats and from then on, we called ourselves "cat killin' buddies." LOL

We made it into Brig, eventually learned to play our bugles, and became sergeants as Juniors. Here's a picture of us in New Orleans on one of our Brig trips our Junior year. We marched in the Mardi Gras parade that year and had the honor of marching in the Superdome.

Here's a picture of me my Sophomore year in my regular uniform. Do you think I thought I was super cool, or what? Ha!!
Our Junior year, Jennifer and I tried out to be field officers. We had worked hard for 3 years to get to this point. There were 4 top officers in Brig. I decided I would try out for Drum & Bugle Commander to lead the music and Jennifer would try out for Company Commander to lead the drills. We wouldn't be competing against each other, that way! If you didn't make Commander, the next position would be Major.

Here is a picture of me with my book that I made for tryouts. I guess I was crafty even back then.....I hand-stitched the cover for my book! I was honored that my book was also chosen to be displayed in one of the bookcases at the school after I graduated.

This won't mean much to any of you, but this is a copy of the drill that I wrote for my tryouts. Brig was right up my alley because it was very organized and military-style. I loved that!

Here's a picture I scanned from my yearbook of the corp marching on the field. This was typical of the type of drill we would do at half-time. I'm getting ahead of myself, but if you look really closely at the bottom of the picture, that's me in the white cape, leading the corp as Drum & Bugle Commander! You can barely see her, but I believe that Jennifer is behind the TX flag, leading the corp as Company Major!

Here's another picture from our yearbook. This was our officer picture. We tried out, worked so hard, and we made it!! That was a lesson that has always carried me throughout my adult life. I had never worked so hard for something, and when I made Commander, I knew that if you work hard enough and believe in yourself, you can accomplish great things!


That's us in the bottom picture. Jennifer is on the top row on the left. She didn't make Commander, but she did make Major. It's a decision we still aren't happy about! LOL!! That's me sitting in the front. One of my favorite parts about being Commander was getting to carry the huge sceptor to lead the music. My hat with white feathers and my white cape was fun to wear too! Part of leading the music was marching backwards too......at least at one time I used to be somewhat coordinated! Ha!

Here is another picture of the corp. It's really hard to see me, but I'm right below the American flag, with the white hat.

Here's another picture from our yearbook. I actually got my own picture on this page! It also shows another drill that we did.

Here's me marching in a parade as Drum & Bugle Commander.

Here's a picture of us at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, accepting our 2nd place trophy that we won by marching in the rodeo parade. If you will notice, the other girl was Company Commander and she got to carry a sword. I'm telling y'all......that sword should have been Jennifer's to carry! Yep, we're still a little bitter! LOL

Every year, we had "Brig Ball" which was just like Prom almost, only the Brig girls got to invite guys to come to the ball with them. It was so much fun every year! We got to get all dressed up and dance the night away. Here's a picture of Jennifer and I our Senior year at Brig Ball.

In my officer application, I wrote:
When I step onto the field and hear our name being announced, a feeling of pride overwhelms me knowing that I, not only now, but always will be a Lee Brigadier.

That is so true. I have never been so honored to be a part of such a great tradition and such a wonderful group of girls. The friendships that I made and the lessons that I learned have carried me throughout my adult life. It was so much fun, such an honor, and a great pleasure to march for four years with The Lee Brigadiers.

Unfortunately, in 2001, due to decreasing interest and numbers, The Lee Brigadiers disbanded and were replaced by a drill team. Although the Brigadiers no longer march together, we will always be together in spirit and the tradition lives on through the memories that we all have. Our director, Ms. Wright, was one of the greatest influences of my life. She believed in every one of us, no matter what we looked like or where we came from. Here I was, this shy little girl who came from a trailer park, and she believed in me and because of that, I believed in myself! She molded me into a leader and I will always be so greatful to her for that!

In 2001, we had a reunion for all of the Brigadiers. It was so great to see everyone again. This is a picture of my friend Heather (who was President of Brig), Me, Ms. Wright, and Jennifer.



The Lee Brigadiers Corp Song:

The Lee Brigadiers

Our Corp and It's Spirit will follow us all through the years.

It's warmth and it's joy and it's sincerest friendships

It's laughter, it's service, it's tears.

We're thankful for days that we've all spent together and nights when we've marched amid cheers.

Our memories weaving, we'll go on receiving, the Spirit of Lee Brigadiers!!!

15 comments:

Sally-Ann said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. When I was growing up in Australia we didn't have anything like this. I guess the closest was a group called, "The Marching Girls". At least, I think that is what is was called!

Becca said...

That is so neat! I can tell that being a part of that meant a lot to you! How special.

Bay Jones said...

This is a great post! I love the fact that you are so proud to have been apart of something so cool. I always wanted to be in some kind of band, but I had no talent when I tried out, I was really a mess - LOL!

Linda said...

Kristin,
You were a pretty girl, and you looked cute in your uniform. I liked your memory of trying so hard to accomplish something you really wanted,...and acheiving it!

You learned a good lesson at a young age, and it stuck with you. And I know that you are not a quitter from what I read about you on your other posts. I am proud of your determination.

Of course we have a helper when we have the Holy Spirit abiding in us, and He is always with you as you step out in faith.

I am also proud of the way you have been doing that in your re-newed walk with the Lord.

You are a special, special person, and in your pictures I can see the beauty that radiates from your soul!

Blessings!
Linda

Patricia said...

Thank you for sharing. I learned something from your blog today. I was in 4-H and it had a positive influence on my life too.

Veronica said...

Okay...finally one thing that we don't have in common, LOL! This was such a neat story but I can't say I have any experience in this department. It was my sister that was the cheerleader. I was more the scholastic type...honor roll, class treasurer, and part of several school clubs. I do know what you mean about being really involved in high school though. I loved it so much and was so sad when I graduated. I loved feeling a part of something bigger than me. Definitely good memories there!

Lynnette Kraft said...

What a pretty, young Lee Brigadier! :) You and your friend look like you could be sisters!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Julie said...

How neat! What wonderful memories. That is such a shame that they don't have it anymore. I'm glad ya'll are still able to get together for reunions.

Oh...and as for the church thing...my son loves the actual service, so that is always an option. And you can always go back & forth. No one will mind! And I understand how you feel. I worry about going anywhere with my boys...

mbduke said...

That is a great story. It takes me back to my marching band days. It was a lot of hard work, but it taught me a lot about life. Great story!!

Daphine said...

I really enjoyed walking down memory lane with you. Alot of great pictures here! Many great memories, Kristen. I loved this!

Jennifer said...

LOL! That was fun to read! What a blast from the past! And the pictures were great! There are so many things you forget about as you get older. I totally forgot some of those pictures. I learned alot from Brig...those things i didn't forget. I'm grateful for those years and most of all I'm grateful that Brig brought us together. I'm honored to have you as my best friend. And we can thank Brig for a lot of that. We met in 8th grade but it was going out for Brig that gave us the bond to be friends forever. and for THAT I'm am truly grateful, honored, and blessed. I love ya buddy!

Cat killin' forever! LOL!
Jennifer

P.S. Frickin' right that sword should have TOTALLY been mine! LOL! ;-)

Laura Hoekstra-Bettig said...

Great photos and memories to go with them! What a gift for your girls! Thanks, too, for stopping by for a visit today! See you next week!

Katie said...

That is neat, to funny though that would never exist here since we are in the North and second we don't celebrate Robert E. Lee (: I was in the band for a year or so in high school, I was so bad. I have no musical talent what so ever. I kept telling my mom I didn't like it but she did.. I just keep remembering how bad I was ,memories (:

CornFedMama said...

What a sweet memory! i too was a "band girl", and while our school didn't have a Brigadeer Corp, we did have Color Guard, which i was also a part of. What you said is very true... the friendships made and the lessons learned were little seeds that have taken root in my adult life as well! Thanks so much for sharing! What a prestigious part you played in your school's tradition!

Heather said...

I loved reading this post! I was a Company Major myself (c/o '98 - I wanted that sword too! lol)

I found my drill book not too long ago and I kept copies of my application. I wrote that my favorite thing about Brig was the feeling of pride when we would step onto the field, hear the eruption of applause from a standing crowd and hear the announcer say "Rich in pride, honor and a 68 year tradition, the oldest and largest all-girl drum and bugle corps. in the state of Texas, the LEE BRIGADIERS!!!" I teared up everytime I heard that and still do thinking about it. Wow...what a great experience and privilege we all had then! Nothing could ever compare. Thanks for bringing me "home" for a bit!

Take care,
Heather